The Digital Resilience and Schools Project
Call for young people to take part in online focus groups
- Are you aged between 11 and 18?
- Do you make use of the internet and social media, in your leisure time and / or your education?
- Would you like to share your views as part of a national research project, and gain experience to boost your CV?
A new project launched earlier this month, which aims to develop resources for schools to help them understand and support their students around their online lives. This work is being carried out by Ecorys, an independent research company.
As part of this project, we are running focus groups with young people throughout July and August 2020. The groups will cover the following topics:
- your online lives inside and outside of school, and the issues that affect you
- risks and opportunities presented by the digital world
- the types of conversations that you have with teachers and other professionals about the internet and staying safe online; and,
- what you think about the support and information that you currently get from your school on these topics.
The focus groups will also provide an opportunity to seek your feedback on the project idea and to make sure that this meets young people’s needs.
The focus groups will last between 45 minutes and 1 hour, with between 6 and 10 young people in each group. We will use a platform called VisionsLive, which is based around texting, so you don’t need to appear on screen like in a video call.
The groups will chaired by a researcher from Ecorys, and will be recorded for internal use only. Please note the following:
- The discussions are confidential, and taking part is up to you. You can hold back if any questions make you feel uncomfortable or stop at any time.
- The information you give is private and will only be seen by the research team. The exception to this is if you say something that makes us think that you or someone else is at risk of harm. We would have a duty to report this.
Taking part is voluntary, so there is no payment involved, but participants will receive a copy of the summary report. We will also provide an e-certificate confirming that you took part in the research, which may be useful for your CV.
How do I apply?
To take part in the focus groups, you need to be:
- 11 to 18 years of age
- living in the UK (England only)
If you choose to apply you can then do so by completing this Google Form.
If you are under 16 years of age then you will need to provide the signed parental consent form as part of your online application, so please have this ready first. You can download the parental consent letter here.
The deadline for applications is Monday 3rd August 2020.
For queries regarding the research, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
This project being carried out in accordance with the EU General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). Ecorys is a registered data controller: UKICO, No. Z5564761. You can view the Privacy Notice for the project here.